Good Citizenship Medal Presentation
- Norfolk Chapter SAR President Ken Hawkins presents Mr. John Millar, owner of Williamsburg’s Newport B&B, the Good Citizenship Certificate and Medal.
Commemoration of The Battle of Great Bridge ceremony at Great Bridge Presbyterian Church on Saturday December 2, 2017.
- Members of various SAR Societies participate in the Presentation of Wreaths.
- Norfolk SAR President Kenneth Hawkins, presents Phillip Hamilton with a certificate of appreciation.
- NSSAR/VASSAR Color Guard prepares for the Parading of the Colors.
- DAR/CAR/SAR Wreath Presentation.
- DAR/SAR Wreath Presentation.
- Caroline Phillips shows off her medal.
- Kenneth Hawkins, Ed.D, President, Norfolk SAR and Donna Crisp, RADAM, USN (Ret.), Regent, Great Bridge NSDAR welcomes Compatriots and guests.
- DAR/CAR/SAR Wreath Presentation.
- Emily Elston, President, VSCAR, delivers greetings from the Virginia Society Children of the American Revolution.
- The Honorable Rick West, Mayor of Chesapeake, presents the Proclamation of the City.
- Michael Elston, President, Virginia SAR, delivers greetings from the Virginia Society SAR.
- President Kenneth Hawkins presents Caroline Phillips, The Battle of Great Bridge medal, SAR for Sustained Outstanding Service.
- Phillip Hamilton, PhD., Author and Professor of History at Christopher Newport University, delivers the Keynote Address, "From Rebellion to Revolution: Great Bridge and It's Momentous Consequences".
- General Larry T. Guzy, President, delivers his message from NSSAR.
- VASSAR 2nd VP Tom Whetstone, Great Bridge DAR Regent Donna Crisp, Norfolk Chapter SAR President Kenneth Hawkins and the Mayor of Chesapeake Rick West
- President Ken Hawkins presenting the Silver Good Citizenship Medal to Alan Krasnoff, the out going mayor of Chesapeake, for all of his support of the projects and celebrations of the Battle of Great Bridge Commemoration.
SAR Recognition at Harbor Park
- VASSAR Honor Guard presents the colors at the beginning of the game.
- Compatriot Tom Grund and family enjoying the game at the 7th inning stretch.
Great Bridge Battlefield and Waterways Museum and Visutors Center Ground Breaking September 22, 2017
- The Norfolk Chapter SAR was well represented at the ground breaking ceremony of the Great Bridge Battlefield and Waterways Museum and Visitors Center, l to r- Chancellor Carter Furr, Compatriot Robert Hitchings, President Ken Hawkins and VASSAR 2nd Vice President Tom Whetstone
Membership Dinner Meeting September 21, 2017
- President Hawkins presents Guest Speaker John Millar with a Certificate of Appreciation
- Norfolk Chapter's newest member, Jeff Wilkerson is sworn in by President Hawkins.
- Treasurer Mike O'Shea receives the Military Service Award and medal from President Hawkins
- Past President Maury Weeks is presented the Distinguished Service certificate and medal from President Hawkins.
Commemoration of the Battle of the Capes Sept 9, 2017
- Members of the Norfolk Chapter attending the ceremony
- Henry "Hank" Almond was in attendance representing the Ft. Harrison Chapter
- VASSAR 1st Vice President Pat Kelly in attendance
May Membership Dinner Meeting @ the Swan Terrace at the Founders Inn
- Guest Speaker Sue Woodward presents her program, “South Quay in Nansemond County and it’s importance in the Revolutionary War”.
- President Ken Hawkins presents Sue Woodward with a Norfolk Chapter SAR cup in appreciation for her presentation of the program
- President Ken Hawkins inducts "soon to be" Compatriot Wayne C. Boone into the Norfolk Chapter SAR.
Norfolk Chapter SAR Membership Dinner Meeting on March 14, 2017 at The Founders Inn
- Knight Essay Winner Caroline Fox presents her essay to the group
- Knight Essay Winner Caroline Fox shows off her Certificate along with her mother, Stephanie Fox
- The Guest Speaker for the evening was Tracey Neikirk, who is the curator for the Isle of Wight County Museum. She presented a talk/slide show entitled “ The Revolutionary War’s Impact on Isle of Wight County”, Smithfield During the American Revolution.
- Chapter President Ken Hawkins presents Immediate Past President Maury Weeks with the Past President Certificate
- VASSAR 2nd Vice President Tom Whetstone and Chapter President Ken Hawkins present Caroline Fox with her medal, Certificate and a check for $100.00 for being this year’s Knight Essay Contest winner
- Chapter President Ken Hawkins presents Chapter Vice President Mike O’Shea with the Military/War Service Medal and Certificate
- Chapter President Ken Hawkins also presents Compatriot Shawn Landis with the Military/War Service Medal and Certificate
January 2017 Membership Dinner Meeting at Westminster Canterbury
- Welcome to our newest Board Member Historian Bob Avery
- Social Time with Compatriots L to R Robert Hitchings, Charles Hassell, Mike O’Shea and Warren Chauncey
- Getting seated for the dinner
- President Maury Weeks addresses the members and guests
- Past President and VASSAR 3rd Vice President Tom Whetstone prepares to swear in the 2017 Norfolk Chapter SAR Board Members
- L to R- Registrar Kurt Lawson, Historian Bob Avery, Chaplain Charles Hassell, Chancellor Carter Furr, Vice President Mike O’Shea, President Kenneth Hawkins and Secretary Edward Douglas.
- Past President Maury Weeks passes the Presidential Medal and Ribbon to President Kenneth Hawkins.
- Past President Maury Weeks salutes President Kenneth Hawkins as the gavel is passed. President Hawkins’ wife, Cathy, looks on with approval.
- Newly sworn in President Hawkins speaks to the crowd and offers ideas and suggestions for the upcoming year.
- Attendees at the January 2017 Membership Dinner Meeting of the Norfolk Chapter SAR
Commemoration of the Battle of Great Bridge December 2016
- Presentation of the flags by the Color Guard begins the program.
- Great Bridge DAR Regent Donna Crisp addresses the crowd.
- VASSAR President Ed Truslow
- SAR President General J. Michael Tomme, Sr. speaks about the significance of the Battle of Great Bridge
- Our very own Robert Hitchings was the keynote speaker for the event
- Treasurer and President Elect Kenneth Hawkins presents the Norfolk Chapter SAR wreath at the Battle of Great Bridge Monument
- Norfolk Chapter SAR President Maury Weeks delivers his final speech at the Battle of Great Bridge Ceremony
Commemoration of the Battle of Kemps Landing at Emmanuel Episcopal Church November 2016
- Mr. James Carver addresses members of C.A.R., Norfolk Chapter SAR and Ft. Nelson Chapter DAR
- Mr. James Carver relates the story of the Battle of Kemps Landing to those in attendance
Wreath Presentation at the Grave of Governor Thomas Nelson, Jr Grace Episcopal Church Yorktown, VA
- Yorktown Fife and Drum Corp performs at the beginning of the ceremony
- Wreath bearers from various SAR and DAR Chapters assemble for the wreath presentation
- President General J. Michael Tomme, Sr. awaits to be announced to speak at the ceremony
- VASSAR President Ed Truslow introduces the President General
- President General Tomme, Sr. speaks to the crowd in reference to the Revolutionary War contributions of Governor Nelson
- President General Tomme, Sr. presents a medal award to a member of the State Color Guard
- National Executive Committee Member Michael J. Elston prepares to announce the wreath presenters
- VASSAR President Ed Truslow presents the Virginia SAR wreath at the grave of Governor Thomas Nelson, Jr.
- President General J. Michael Tomme, Sr. presents the National SAR wreath at Governor Nelson’s grave
- Norfolk Chapter SAR President Maury Weeks on his way to present the chapter wreath at the gravesite
- Virginia State Color Guard presents the colors at the ceremony
- Norfolk Chapter SAR members gather at the conclusion of the program L to R- Compatriot Dr. John Barlow, Chapter President Maury Weeks, Chapter Secretary Edward Douglas and Past President Robert Hitchings
- Overview of the various chapter wreaths in place at the gravesite at the conclusion of the event
- Grave site of Governor Thomas Nelson, Jr with the Norfolk Chapter SAR wreath in the background
- Norfolk Chapter SAR members L to R- Immediate Past President Dr. Tom Whetstone, Secretary Edward Douglas, Chapter Secretary Edward Douglas and Past President Robert Hitchings
- Norfolk Chapter President Maury Weeks with the Chapter wreath
Grave Marking Ceremony for Compatriot Thomas W. Sale, Jr St. John's Episcopal Church Hampton, VA June 4, 2016
- Fifes and Drums of Yorktown play the National Anthem
- Entrance of the VASSAR Color Guard led by Norfolk Chapter Compatriot Chris Melhuish (Carrying the American Flag)
- Posting of the Colors
- Norfolk Chapter SAR President Maury Weeks presents the Chapter wreath at the grave of Compatriot Thomas W. Sale, Jr
- Norfolk Chapter SAR Secretary Edward Douglas present at the ceremony with President Weeks
SAR ROTC Awards Ceremony May 6, 2016 at Lakeland High School Suffolk VA
- President Maury Weeks presents Nelson Rosa with the SAR Bronze ROTC Medal.
- President Maury Weeks presents the SAR Bronze ROTC Certificate to Nelson Rosa.
Norfolk Chapter SAR Membership Dinner Meeting May 24, 2016
- President Maury Weeks presents Compatriot Charles Hackworth with the Bronze Good Citizenship Medal and certificate. Compatriot Bob Avery applauds in the background.
- President Maury Weeks addresses the members of the Norfolk Chapter as they get down to business for the evening.
Dedication of the Tomb of the Unknown Patriot Soldier of the American Revolution Williamsburg Va May 21, 2016
- VASSAR President Ed Truslow and Norfolk Chapter SAR Secretary Edward Douglas at the Dedication of the Tomb of the Unknown Patriot Soldier
- The flagged draped Tomb of the Unknown Patriot Soldier of the American Revolution
- A member of Boy Scout Troop # 103 Williamsburg carries the flag to Alain C. Outlaw, the archaeologist who discovered the remains of the unknown soldier.
- A member of Boy Scout Troop 103 of Williamsburg presents the flag to Mr. Alain C. Outlaw, Archaeologist
- VASSAR President Ed Truslow lays a wreath on the Tomb of the Unknown Patriot Soldier of the American Revolution
- Unveiled tomb with the iinscription on top
- Attendees at the Dedication included L-R: Dr. Jim Henry, Chaplain, Williamsburg Chapter SAR, VASSAR President Ed Truslow, Mr. Fred Boelt, Williamsburg Chapter SAR and Edward Douglas, Secretary, Norfolk Chapter SAR
Photos from Grave Monument Dedication at Blandford Cemetery Petersburg, VA
- Past President Tom Whetstone and Secretary Edward Douglas with the Norfolk SAR Chapter wreath
- The Norfolk SAR Chapter Wreath at the Monument Ceremony
- VASSAR President Ed Truslow addresses the audience at the monument ceremony
- Monument dedicated to the Revolutionary War Patriots buried in Blandford Cemetery
March Membership Dinner Meeting March 15, 2016 at Gus and George's Restaurant
- Past President Tom Whetstone introduces our Knight Essay Winner, Hannah Wheaton.
- Hannah Wheaton presents her Knight Essay entitled “3/5th’s Compromise and Population-Based Electoral Districts"
- President Maury Weeks presents Hannah Wheaton with her Knight Essay winner medal.
- Past President Tom Whetstone and President Maury Weeks present Hannah Wheaton with her Knight Essay Certificate along with a check for $100.00 as her mother, Laurie Wheaton, looks on
- President Maury Weeks introduces our guest speaker, Col. John Barlow, to the group.
- Col. John Barlow spoke on “Medicine in the 18th Century before and during the American Revolution”.
- President Maury Weeks presents our guest speaker, Col. John Barlow, with a Certificate of Appreciation along with a CD entitled “Jefferson’s Fiddle”.
January Annual Membership Dinner Meeting
- Treasurer Ken Hawkins presents Alex Rasmussen with the Eagle Scout Award and Medal. Also present are his parents.
- President Maury Weeks presents Treasurer Ken Hawkins with the Virginia Society Chapter Award
- President Maury Weeks presents Compatriot Tom Grund with the Roger Sherman Award for his participation in the Commemoration of the Battle of Great Bridge
- President Maury Weeks presents Past President Tom Whetstone with the Roger Sherman Award for his service in the Commemoration of the Battle of Great Bridge. Tom was the Chairman, VASSAR Battle of Great Bridge Observance Committee.
- President Maury Weeks presents Compatriot Ken Hogendobler with the SAR Distinguished Service award in recognition of his many years of dedicated service as Chairman of ROTC.
- Our guest speaker for the evening was Virginia Society 1st Vice President Ed Truslow
- Virginia Society 1st Vice President Ed Truslow conducts the installation of the Norfolk Chapter SAR 2016 Officers. L to R : President Maury Weeks, Secretary Edward Douglas, Treasurer Ken Hawkins, Chaplain Charles Hassell, Historian Stu Whitehead and Chancellor Carter Furr
(For older pictures please see our archive by clicking on this link.)